Watch Out for These Typical Issues With Refrigerators
Getting a refrigerator is one of the most basic steps in furnishing a new home. It is also one of the most long-standing appliances in homes as the years go by. Even hotel rooms have refrigerators, albeit smaller ones or mini fridges. How much electricity does a mini fridge use? Not as much as the larger refrigerators, which is one of the reasons it gained popularity.
If you have a refrigerator that is giving you grief, which is 10 years old if not more, that is a rather large red flag. There is a big chance the appliance is nearing the very end of its useful lifespan. That said, a repair that will prolong the appliance’s life may still be possible, extending its usability to several more years.
Watch out for these typical issues with refrigerators so they can be addressed in a timely manner.
Refrigerator Not Cooling
In general, refrigerators should be anywhere between 37-41 degrees Fahrenheit in order for the food to stay cold and fresh. In the unlikely event your refrigerator is giving off warm air when you open the door, there are a handful of troubleshooting steps you can try.
- Check to see if the fridge is receiving power in the first place.
- Clear or unblock the vents that blow cold air into the freezer or fridge itself so that airflow is adequate.
- Make sure the refrigerator thermostat is duly adjusted.
- Vacuum the coils behind or under the fridge.
If, after that list is checked off, the fridge is still not getting cold, something could be broken. That could signify that the condenser fan or evaporator fan is broken. If that is the case, it is imperative to call an appliance repair technician immediately.
Not Running After Being Transported
If you just moved to a new home or office with a mini fridge in tow, keep it as upright as possible. Make sure to put it on an appropriate surface. Can a mini fridge be placed on carpet? It is highly recommended not to, because a carpet retains heat and will reduce airflow to the condenser usually found at the bottom of the appliance.
Refrigerator Is Freezing at Every Level
If the temperature of your refrigerator drops too low, everything can freeze. These are what to check:
- Turn the knob of the thermostat control to the highest setting. If it clicks, it’s working fine. Otherwise, it is likely defective.
- With the help of a professional, perform a multimeter test to check whether the thermistor is working properly or not. The thermistor is what sends the reading of the fridge temperature to the control board.
- If the other two are not defective, it is most likely the temperature control board that has issues. The temperature control board is what supplies voltage to both the compressor and the fan motors. If it is malfunctioning, it must be replaced.
Taken care of the right way, a refrigerator can last for a decade or more. It is important to make sure that, like most appliances, you keep an eye out for any issues that may arise. When in doubt, it is always best to get a professional opinion.
Looking for LG LMXS28626s reviews and advice on other refrigerator options? Check out Pixel Fridge today! We have the most reliable analysis, reviews, tips, and recommendations when it comes to high-quality french door refrigerators.